Central Coast Poultry Club Inc.

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Breeds and Breedings > Cockerel Breeding Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Bantams

brahmacochin

Hi all,

I just purchased 3 trios of Cockerel Breeding Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Bantams. I have never bred this colour before and I would really like some advice on what I should be looking for in the hens to make sure I continue to get good cockerels. They are from Stefan Spiker. Stefan sold all of his Partridge and Silver Pencilled bantam Wyandottes, in CB and PB, at the last Euroa Auction. I have been told that Stefan's lines in this colour are some of the best, if not the best, in Australia.

I managed to acquire three of the best trios offered at the sale. All of the roosters have very nice colour without any red or gold. The hens and pullets are very dark in body colour with black hackle and a silver lining around the feathers. They dont have any pattern in them, but two of the females are a little lighter in body colour with some speckling in the feather.

Has anyone kept this colour before? Can you please offer some advice as to how I should be pairing them up to get the best birds possible. I'm very keen to continue improving this colour and showing them.

Cheers, Luke

May 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Warwick S

The breding program should not be very different to mating up Dark Brahmas, provided you have them breeding true. It would take up too mich space to describe it here but the easiest reference to understand is in Rick Kemps Breeders Handbook if you can get a copy.

--
July 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Warwick S

The breding program should not be very different to mating up Dark Brahmas, provided you have them breeding true. It would take up too mich space to describe it here but the easiest reference to understand is in Rick Kemps Breeders Handbook if you can get a copy.

--
July 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

Hi Warwick,

Thanks so much for your advice. Would it be possible to copy your handbook?

Cheers

Luke

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.
Breeder of Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte and Araucana.

August 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

brahmacochin

I have also just purchased a cockerel and three pullets from Tracie Bird-gardiner in CB silver pencilled wyandottes. So between the two lines I will hopefully breed some nice birds this season.

--

Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.
Breeder of Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte and Araucana.

August 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.